Tchouameni Man Utd Transfer Is Back On in Shock 70m Hijack Bid
The Tchouameni Man Utd transfer has come roaring back to life, and this is the kind of twist that makes a transfer window worth following. Manchester United have gone back in for Aurelien Tchouameni, even after widespread reports that the France international had already agreed fresh terms at Real Madrid. On paper, that should have ended the conversation. It hasn’t.
Tchouameni Man Utd transfer

The Short Version
- United have made contact over Tchouameni, despite reports he’s agreed a new deal at Real Madrid
- The 26-year-old is valued at around 70m, cheaper than fellow midfield targets Alex Scott (80m+), Elliot Anderson (116m) and Mateus Fernandes (85m)
- Michael Carrick’s side are also chasing Roma’s Manu Kone as they look to complete their midfield rebuild
Why the Tchouameni Man Utd Transfer Refuses to Die
Reports on July 8 had this one filed away. ESPN and others reported that Tchouameni had agreed an extension at the Bernabeu, and most assumed United’s long-running interest was dead in the water. Then came a fresh twist.
Sun journalist Samuel Luckhurst revealed on X that United have made an approach anyway, undeterred by the extension talk, pointing out that no formal announcement has actually been made. That detail matters more than it might look. In football, no signature means no certainty, and United appear to be banking on exactly that gap.
Luckhurst went further, noting that Tchouameni fits United’s preferred age bracket of 22 to 26 and operates as an out-and-out No.6, the exact profile the club have been hunting since Casemiro’s powers began to fade. He also flagged that United “have headroom to spend significantly” and that Tchouameni wouldn’t command a fee to rival what Premier League clubs are charging for players of similar quality, with his contract running only to 2028.
The Real Madrid Contract Confusion
Here’s where it gets murkier, and more interesting. Journalist Andy Mitten, asked directly whether Tchouameni was set to extend, gave a revealing answer. He said contacts in Madrid had told him that even after signing fresh terms, the club “could still sell him.”
That’s not the language of a done deal.
That’s a club keeping its options open, and United appear alert to it.
Mitten also made a wider point that will resonate with United fans who’ve watched this pattern before: Real Madrid players have a habit of using Old Trafford interest as leverage for a better contract at the Bernabeu. It’s happened before. It could easily be happening again here.
Crucially, though, Mitten added that Tchouameni himself would be “perfectly happy” to join United if his situation in Madrid changed. That’s the sort of detail that keeps a supposedly dead deal alive.
The Tactical Angle: Why Carrick Wants a Genuine No.6
This isn’t a panic buy or a name being floated for headlines. United’s midfield rebuild this summer has been deliberate and well-funded. They’ve already paid 50m for Andrey Santos from Chelsea and triggered Youri Tielemans’ 35m release clause at Aston Villa. An earlier 38m deal for Atalanta’s Ederson collapsed after he failed his medical, which only sharpened the focus on getting the next midfield addition right.
Tchouameni represents something different to those deals. He’s not a squad player or a stopgap. He’s viewed as the long-term successor to Casemiro in the holding role, a proper tactical fit for a team that wants control and physicality shielding the back four. United are also in contact with Roma over Manu Kone, but Tchouameni remains, by some distance, the dream option.
At 70m, he’d arrive as comfortably United’s best-value midfield addition of the window. Compare that to the 116m paid for Elliot Anderson or the 85m for Mateus Fernandes elsewhere in the market, and the logic writes itself. United would be getting a World Cup winner with genuine Champions League pedigree for less than they’ve spent on unproven talent this summer.
What a Tchouameni Man Utd Transfer Would Mean for the Rebuild
If this gets over the line, it completes a midfield reshuffle that’s been building since INEOS made the engine room their priority project. Santos and Tielemans bring energy and squad depth. Tchouameni, if he arrives, would bring the authority and control United have missed since Casemiro’s decline, the kind of player capable of dictating tempo against the division’s best sides.
There’s also the PSG angle to watch. TEAMtalk understands Paris Saint-Germain have reached a decision on selling Warren Zaire-Emery to United, which suggests the club aren’t relying on Tchouameni alone and have contingency plans if Madrid dig in.
Our View
As United fans, this is precisely the sort of late-window twist that keeps you refreshing your phone. On the surface, Tchouameni signing a new Madrid deal should have killed this stone dead. Instead, we’re being told the ink isn’t fully dry and United have gone back in regardless. That takes some nerve, and we like it.
What’s most encouraging is the profile fit. This isn’t United chasing a name for the sake of it. Tchouameni is 26, an out-and-out No.6, and exactly what’s been missing since Casemiro stopped being Casemiro. If Mitten’s sources are right and the player himself would be open to the move, then this stops being wishful thinking and starts looking like a live opportunity.
At 70m, it’s arguably the smartest piece of business available to us this summer, cheaper than what we’ve already spent on unproven talent elsewhere. If Michael Carrick and the recruitment team can actually pull this off, few would argue it isn’t a masterstroke. We’ve seen Real Madrid interest get used as contract leverage before, so we’re not getting carried away just yet. But the fact the Tchouameni Man Utd transfer is even back on the table has us watching every update.